Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mac - N - Cheese Epiphany

One of my comfort foods from when I was growing up was my mom's homemade Mac-n-cheese with tomatoes casserole.  I've made it a few times for my own family but the reviews have always been negative.  Why?  Even the Mac-n- cheese that i've made for the kids isn't really a hit.

I've been totally put off by the finding that Kraft Mac-n-cheese contains Tartrazine (Sp?) which is the yellow coloring for the cheese.  This is known as having a direct link to Cancer.  Why they would continue to put it in their product is boggling to me.

So I try to opt for homemade.  My Hubby always says that my version tastes flour-y in texture.  Sure I put a spoon of flour for thickening...that's how my mom always did it.

This week I had an epiphany.  We made Alfredo sauce from scratch this week at home.  Oh soooo easy and quick and Really Yum! And...you guessed it... No flour.

So we tried the Mac-n-cheese version today with great success

Here's the recipe:

1 cup of dried macaroni

1 cup of Milk or cream
1/4 cup butter
1 cup (or more) of grated cheddar cheese
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp prepared mustard
a dash of garlic/onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Make sure your macaroni is mostly cooked by the time you start the sauce.  Melt butter and milk/cream together.  Add remaining ingredients and combine until the cheese is melted.

Drain macaroni, and put back into the pot, add the cheese sauce, combine and warm. It will start to thicken with the starch from the pasta.

Enjoy!
Sherri

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is really good....but i would personally omit the crumblies...

    ReplyDelete