Thursday, October 7, 2010

Butter Pie Shell

Up until a month ago I would say that I could count the number of times I've made a pie crust from scratch.... well... I'd never done it before.  I've always had a problem with buying lard! So I went on the search of a pastry recipe.  Butter crust popped out at me, and I just had to try it.  After a little research I don't think it is so much the recipe that matters but the method.

Most recipes have you use unsalted butter and then add the salt.  My need for simplicity tells me 'No... use the salted butter'  So I do and omit salt.

1 cup butter - Frozen
2.5 cups flour
1/4-1/3 cup ice water (1/4 c water with an ice cube in a 1/3 cup measure)

...So my other inhibitor has been my lack of a pastry cutter tool..you know that thing blends in the butter...or a food processor for that matter.

...Frozen butter say hello to the cheese grater!

Without having to sift your salt into the flour, all you have to do is layer it.  1/2 cup flour, grate some of your butter, 1/2 cup of flour, grate, flour, grate until it's all in.  Then you can easily use your hands to incorporate until it gets grainy.

Add water tsp at a time fluffing through with a fork until it starts to stick together.  You won't use all the water by the time this happens, and when you think you're ready, kneed it together, but don't work it too much.  Form a ball cover and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes.  If you're leaving it longer then cover with plastic wrap otherwise take it out and roll it out on a floured counter and voila!

I have made it with quiche...Prebake on 450 for about 20 minutes (and I didn't weigh it down with beans in tinfoil...but you can) 

I have made it with Shepherd pie...not prebaked but still beautiful!

Next up... dessert...Ohhh I can't wait!

I will start taking pictures at some point and add them later...Stay tuned!

Sherri
Food for Thought




No comments:

Post a Comment