Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chocolate Cake from Scratch

I have tried a scratch chocolate cake a few times.  They have always turned out really dense and hard and unappetizing.  However I think I have found the gold mine!

Being in India, it is sometimes hard to find a cake mix at all.  The places I have found them they can either be REALLY old, or over the past 6 months I have cleaned them out.  Mind you with 2 young kids it is easy to go through them rather quickly.

So, after committing to scary cupcakes for a kindergarten Halloween party, and realizing that I have no mixes left inhouse, I'd decided to try again.....this time with success.  My husband has poo poo'd the idea of experimenting for such a crucial party commitment, but the only other option was to spend 2 hrs in a car searching for a potentially non-existent Duncan Heinz mix.

When I later fed him the first trial bite, I had to remind him that it was from scratch....his jaw dropped to the floor.  We have found the perfect scratch recipe.

I cannot take credit for this recipe in any way.  You can google 'moist chocolate cake recipe' and find it yourself, or just keep reading:

Preheat Oven to 300 Degrees (Yes that is 300)

Ingredients:

2     Cups  All purpose Flour
2     Cups  White Sugar
3/4  Cup    Cocoa
2     tsp      Baking Soda
1     tsp      Salt
1.5  tsp      Vanilla Extract
2                Large Eggs
1     Cup    Buttermilk
1     Cup    Vegetable oil
1     Cup    Boiling Water

Combine with mixer.  It will seem really watery, this is fine.  You can use a 9 x 12 greased and floured cake pan and bake for 1 hr.  I used cupcakes and liners and baked for 45 minutes.

Your end result will be exactly like a dark chocolate cake mix.  Moist, fluffy and oh soo yummy!

Next is to find a good vanilla recipe.  I will try altering this one and see if it works. I will keep you posted on the results.

Until Next time
Sherri

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best Chocolate cake ever. Keep it coming Sherri :)

    ReplyDelete