Sunday, January 16, 2011

My new favorite Vanilla Icing recipe

Buttercream Icing has been the staple cake covering in our household since I was a child.  Now that I have kids of my own, and I have to say I probably make more cakes and cupcakes than my mom ever did, I have been looking for an Icing that isn't as sweet.  And with a little modification, as usual, we have a new favorite.

Let me also say that though my mom didn't bake a lot, she has superb cake decorating skills.  Our birthday cakes were second to none, and you would be hard pressed to find a shop today that output her calibre creations without shelling out some serious Dough.  I think this is where I have formed my love for the almighty cake.  Like her my favorite flavoring is of course Chocolate.

So far I've only attempted this as a strictly Vanilla Icing, but I will post about my experience with 'Chocolatizing' it soon and what I think are the requirements to get it there.

I know when it comes to baking 'Lard' or 'crisco' tend to be major players.  Wherever I can I replace this tasteless fat/filler.  Butter is always better in my books and is a no brainer switchout when I see crisco in a recipe.  You will probably never see a recipe on this blog that includes the dreaded Crisco.

Here is the ingredient list:

1 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
1.5 tsp vanilla

1 cup butter (room temp)
1 cup granulated white sugar

In a small saucepan put the flour.  slowly add the cold milk whisking constantly to ensure that you don't get any lumps.  Once you have achieved the non lumpy combo add the Vanilla and place on the stove over medium low heat.  Whisk or stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Once it starts it will thicken really fast.  Once it starts to coat your spoon remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cream together butter and sugar using beaters for about 5 minutes.  Once you have cooled the milk mixture  as directed, add to the butter/sugar and beat for another few minutes.  The sugar should totally dissolve and you will have a smooth creamy not too sweet frosting for your next great cake.

Happy Baking
Sherri 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Icicng is really good sherri...i wonder what the effect of putting in a little rum or somthing in it would make. Worth a try anyways. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete